Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Bak'was


This image is sort of crappy, a quick photochop. So I'm finally doing it. I'm going to start on my short film (10 to 15 minutes). It's based on the Bak' was. You can read more about it here. It's name is sometimes spelled differently, but I think this version looks the coolest.

So this blog will slowly become a production blog for a little bit.

If you're too lazy to click the link...shame on you. But here's a description of the Bak'was:

Ba„was is the Wild Man of the Woods, literal translation "man of the ground embodiment". He is small in size and is the Chief of ghosts or spirits, the spiritual embodiment of everything in the forest. He has a green hairy body and skeletal face with prominent cheekbones and a hooked nose that curves to touch his upper lip. He lives in the country of ghosts and is the Chief of Woodsmen and keeper of drowned souls. It is unusual to see a Ba„was but be careful if you do because it is said that he will entice you into his world by offering you food. Ba„was especially likes to find warriors and hunters and capture them by luring them to eat his cursed food. The food looks appetizing like smoked salmon or berries but is poisoned and when a starving hunter comes along and eats it, he will become one of the Ba„was spirits. Ba„was eats slugs and snails, but his favourite food is cockles, found only in our area, and dug from the sand on the beach. Generally he is shy and afraid of humans.



3 comments:

Ben Greene said...

Sweet! Looking forward to more :)

Joel said...

Hi, I came across your site and wasn’t able to get an email address to contact you. Would you please consider adding a link to my website on your page. Please email me back and we'll talk about it.

Thanks!

Joel Houston
JHouston791@gmail.com

Sean "The Butcher" Smithson said...

Heya Doug,
Sean Smithson here. I write at Fangoria, and Twitch Film dot com, both pretty huge outlets. I'm local too (Olympia, WA) I'd like to talk more about your short, both as a writer, and as a filmmaker with some local resources.

I'll be making my first real short (with an AD, a pro cast, etc)"...And It's Child Will Sing" after years turn as well. Think Cronenberg-ian body horror meets HPL meets Rosemary's Baby, and you're in the ballpark.

Hit up my email, I'd like to track your progress first hand, and most likely give you some good coverage at the Twitch and Fango websites. I can also get you carried at all the other big outlets (Dread Central, etc) for genre stuff.

If you are going to ZomBcon, I am one of the Senior Programmers, and will be hosting screenings and moderating panels and Q and A's all weekend. You guys already have a panel set there? if not, let's get you on the chart too for CLASS3 (and yes, I'll be applying for the writing gig on the game...which would be a frickin' dream come true)

Anyway, looks good man, love your work. Keep on killing!

Sean "The Butcher" Smithson
diemonsterdie@gmail.com
Sean Smithson on FB